I’m interested in doing an internship. Can Mitacs help me find a partner organization?

Mitacs cannot find partners for individual interns.

For tips on finding a partner organization, view the Research Partnerships 101 webinar, talk to your academic supervisor, or visit the Projects Seeking Interns page. 

What kinds of organizations can participate in Accelerate?

For-profit and not-for-profit (NFP) corporations can participate. Projects with an NFP partner must demonstrate an economic or productivity orientation, which must be described in the proposal and will be evaluated by the peer reviewers.

All partner organizations must be Canadian or a Canadian location of a foreign-owned organization. They must also have an office or site where the intern(s) undertakes at least 50% of the internship.

If you’re not sure if a partner is eligible, contact a Mitacs representative or accelerate(at)mitacs.ca.

How many internships can I do?

The maximum allowable number of internships varies depending on your current academic designation:

  • Master’s students can complete up to two internship units
  • PhD students and postdoctoral fellows can complete up to six internships

Graduate students seeking longer-term funding can also apply for Accelerate Fellowship funding, in which:

  • Master’s students can complete an 18-month project (equivalent to three internship units)
  • PhD students can complete a three-year project (equivalent to six internship units)

Applicants can apply for Accelerate and Accelerate Fellowship funding at any time.

Can I hold both an Accelerate and other grants at the same time?

Mitacs does not have any restrictions on its recipients holding other grants.

You are responsible to determine if your other grants have such restrictions prior to applying to Accelerate.

Can I complete my internship at the university and interact with the partner organization remotely?

Interns are required to spend at least 50% of their internship on site with the partner organization.

In exceptional circumstances, interns may spend less than half of the internship with their partner. Consult with your Mitacs representative to determine if your project is eligible.

Can I do an Accelerate internship outside of Canada?

The majority of each internship must be undertaken at the Canadian university and partner office or site; however, some international travel is permitted if required.

If you are interested in pursuing a research project with an industry partner abroad, please consider applying for Accelerate International.

Who owns any intellectual property generated during an internship?

Mitacs takes no position on intellectual property (IP). 

IP is to be shared between the university, its researchers, and the partner organization according to the university’s IP rules, unless a separate agreement is negotiated.

Mitacs can facilitate IP discussions with any Canadian university. The following universities have their own IP policies for Mitacs projects:

My Accelerate internship has been approved. When will the funds be available?

Mitacs forwards Accelerate funds to your university only after it has received the contribution from your partner organization. Please allow two weeks for processing upon receipt of this contribution. 

My internship proposal was not approved. What can I do?

You are welcome to revise and resubmit either a new version of the current proposal or a new proposal on a related, eligible project, per the guidance provided in the decision letter. We provide feedback from Mitacs Research staff, external expert reviewers and/or the Mitacs Research Council in all decision letters in order to help applicants improve proposals which were not initially approved.

Is my Accelerate award a stipend or a salary? Will benefits be deducted?

Accelerate is offered in partnership with your university, which administers your award. We recommend that you speak with your professor and institution about funding policies (“stipend” or “salary”) and potential deductions of benefits. Universities administer funds according to their individual institutional policies, which are flexible under Tri-Council guidelines. If benefits are included, they may be deducted from either your pay or the accompanying research funds.

How can the flexible research funds be spent?

Mitacs follows NSERC guidelines for use of funds.

What happens if a project needs to be cancelled?

Mitacs Accelerate internships require the active participation of the intern, professor, and partner organization. All participants should attempt to fulfill their project obligations.

If all parties are in agreement, a project or individual internship may be terminated. If one party wants to cancel the internship without other parties’ agreement, s/he must first notify them in writing and allow 30 days for resolution of outstanding issues. 

Any funds remaining after a cancelled internship must be returned to Mitacs.