Supporting the Setup of Big Data System for Advanced Manufacturing - BC-334
Preferred Disciplines: Big Data scientist, computer science, statistics, operation research, Masters
Project length: 8 to 12 months
Desired start date: May 2017
Location: Burnaby, BC
No. of Positions: 1
Preferences: Experience with Microsoft SQL, IBM SPSS Modeler, reporting services, Python
Company: Mercedes-Benz Canada Fuel Cell Division
Mercedes-Benz Canada is the Canadian subsidiary of Daimler AG, the world's oldest car manufacturer. Located in Burnaby, British Columbia, Mercedes-Benz Fuel Cell production facility is responsible for Daimler’s global production of fuel cell stacks – the technology at the foundation of alternative propulsion strategy.
This project aims to use predictive analytical software to analyze data from multiple sources, such as product quality, manufacturing and suppliers. The project aims to identify key characteristics that influence manufacturing and also to identify characteristics that do not have any influence.
It also aims to develop software to access databases and perform live statistical updates using Big Data. Big data analyses will be carried out. Interfaces will be developed and this will support or improve existing projects at MBFC.
Background and required skills
- Using predictive analytics software, analyze big data from product quality, manufacturing and product testing to gain insight into product failure causes and optimize manufacturing equipment settings. Further develop the software to access a database to perform regular statistical analysis and reporting.
- Possibility to develop real-time manufacturing summary display for monitoring of production line performance by management.
- This project would need to be carried out at Mercedes-Benz fuel cell facility full time
- Suitable for a Computer Science Masters student, preferably a 12 month placement
- Development of standardized interfaces
- Analyze what data important to track
- Set up system to transfer data from MES to Big data software
- Set up reporting out snapshots.
- Take data, perform Big Data analysis, assess
- Set up computer programs to interface between systems (Big Data and MES)
- Set up computer programs to create a live monitor
Expertise and Skills Needed:
- Big data, Computer science
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please
- Check your eligibility and find more information about open projects.
- Complete this webform. You will be asked to upload your CV. Remember to indicate the title of the project(s) you are interested in and obtain your professor’s approval to proceed!
Interested students need to get the approval from their supervisor and send their CV along with a link to their supervisor’s university webpage by applying through the webform or directly to Amin Aziznia, aaziznia(a)mitacs.ca