Microwave-assist production process of activated carbon scale up from bench technology - AB-024
Preferred Disciplines: Material Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering, Chemistry ; level :Master, PhD, Post-Doc
Project length: From 8 months to 3 years
Desired start date: As soon as possible
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
No. of Positions: 1-2
Company: AltaCarbon Inc.
AltaCarbon Inc. is an Edmonton based clean-tech startup focus on developing the next generation of production process of activated carbon.
We are looking for capable and driven researchers to help us develop and scale our microwave-assisted productions process of activated carbon. Our patented process is able to produce at 100g scale and needs to scale to tons scale to commericially produce activated carbon. Our main application is in the mercury capture market. We plan to build our own production facility to become an activated carbon supplier utilizing a waste feedstock.
Background and required skills
- The main objective is to scale up the production process to tons scale while maintaining the same end production performance and production cost
- One sub-objective would be to identify other potential applications for our activated carbon
- Another sub-objective would be to identify other potential raw material for our production process
- Scale up will be done at stages. Stage one will be at kg scale. Depending on the results on available resources, the next stage will either be at 20 to 100 kg scale.
- As the production process scales up, the production process might be broken into seperated sub-processses in order to develop in more details.
Expertise and Skills Needed:
- Experience in activated carbon production
- Experience in microwave-assisted process
- Experience in industrial level production design (preferred)
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please
- Check your eligibility and find more information about open projects.
- Complete this webform. You will be asked to upload your CV. Remember to indicate the title of the project(s) you are interested in and obtain your professor’s approval to proceed!
Interested students need to get the approval from their supervisor and send their CV along with a link to their supervisor’s university webpage by applying through the webform or directly to Eric Loo at, eloo(a)mitacs.ca.