Data Scientist for Hail Risk Assessment - ON-158
Preferred Disciplines: Statistics, Mathematics, Data science (Masters)
Project Length: 4-6 months (1 unit)
Desired start date: October or November 2018
Location: Toronto, ON
No. of Positions: 1
About the Company:
Cultovo is building an online dashboard to de-risk the increasingly volatile farming business, to bring more crop insurance and security to farmers. The dashboard will more efficiently inform the crop insurer to better manage payouts, reduce premium prices and drive sales. We are integrating data sources like satellite imagery, weather, and more with the risk modelling currently used all in one claims management system.
Overview: We are looking for data science support in an actuary-related role. That is, broadly to analyse the financial costs of risk and uncertainty, using mathematics, statistics, and financial theory to assess the risk that an event will occur and help future clients develop minimize the cost of that risk. In our case, those risks are crop related. The first peril we are focused on is hail and in future years we will consider others like flooding, drought, disease and others.
- How to calculate risk based on weather data
- How to calculate risk based on GIS data
We hope the researcher will share in our values of globality, improvement and security. We are a team of four who are excited to change the future of agriculture and we are looking for a like-minded individual to join our team.
- To what extent can we integrate meteorological data with actuarial modelling?
- To what extent can we integrate geographic information systems (GIS) data with actuarial modelling?
- Hail risk scores
- Perform a variety of specialized technical tasks according to established methodology in mathematics and statistics.
- Work with our team to identify the necessary methods to integrate with our existing infrastructure.
Expertise and Skills Needed:
- Math or statistics
- Knowledge of meteorology
- Knowledge of GIS
- Some programming
- Experience with Agile software development
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please