Changing the Narrative in Tech - Ladies Learning Code’s Impact and Reach - ON-084
Preferred Disciplines: Social Sciences; Master, PhD, Post-Doc
Company: Ladies Learning Code
Project Length: 4 to 12 months
Desired start date: As soon as possible
Location: Toronto, ON
No. of Positions: 1
Preferences: GTA based
About the Company:
Ladies Learning Code is a not-for-profit organization with the mission to become the leading resource for women and youth to become passionate builders - not just consumers - of technology by learning technical skills in a hands-on, social, and collaborative way.
We believe that computer programming and other technical skills are a tool of empowerment, and it is our mission to ensure that all Canadians -- particularly women and youth -- have access to learning opportunities.
Summarize the partner organization’s problem, needs and/or goals to be addressed (1-3 sentences per project). Emphasize the research to be performed. Describe the project(s) and the objectives.
Ladies Learning Code is a not-for-profit organization with the goal of inspiring more girls and women to pursue technology ultimately helping to close the gender gap that currently exists in the industry in Canada. The organization wants to understand the reach their programs are having across Canada, the impact that their programs are having on participants and where the organization fits into the broader ecosystem and industry of technical education.
- Participants’ sentiment towards technology before, during and directly after the program as well as 1 year post and 2-5 years post program
- Change in confidence
- Change in behaviour
- Change in attitudes toward technology
- Impact this program has had on participants’ decision to pursue technology as a career
- Evidence of the development and experience of self directed learning, out of the box thinking, innovation, and creativity in a relatively new area for this age group and gender
- Understand (and possibly uncover patterns) of identifiers of not only the participants involved in the program but the community at large, such as volunteers, coordinators etc.
- Impact on the ratio of women and girls entering STEM fields
- Focus groups
Expertise and Skills Needed:
For more info or to apply to this applied research position, please