Grad students and postdocs to foster research partnerships Down Under
Vancouver, BC — Mitacs, a Canadian not-for-profit research and training organization, and the Australian Government Department of Education and Training signed an agreement today creating opportunities for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows from both countries to participate in research internships.
The agreement was signed by His Excellency Paul Maddison; High Commissioner of Canada to Australia, on behalf of Mitacs, and David Learmonth; Deputy Secretary, Higher Education, Research and International from the Australian Department of Education and Training.
Under the agreement Mitacs will promote research mobility opportunities for the Endeavour Research Fellowships to Canadians through its Globalink program. In return, the department will promote the benefits of Australians undertaking Endeavour Research Fellowships at Canadian universities.
Alejandro Adem, CEO and Scientific Director, Mitacs
“This partnership with Australia represents the shared commitment of both countries to promote research and foster innovation. Graduate students and postdocs from Canada will have opportunities to develop as global citizens while showcasing Canadian research.”
David Learmonth, Deputy Secretary, Higher Education, Research and International, Australian Department of Education and Training
“The department welcomes Mitacs’ commitment to promote the Australia Awards–Endeavour Research Fellowship to Canadians. The department will promote the benefits of Australians undertaking Endeavour Fellowships at Canadian universities."
Quick facts about Mitacs:
- Within Canada, Mitacs has worked with 60 universities, over 6,000 companies, and federal and provincial governments, building partnerships that support industrial and social innovation.
- To further strengthen international research collaborations, Mitacs Globalink now offers two-way mobility opportunities between Canada and partner countries — Australia, Brazil, China, France, Germany, India, Israel, Japan, Mexico, Norway, Saudi Arabia, and Tunisia — for undergraduate and graduate students.
- Mitacs acknowledges the Government of Canada, along with the Government of Alberta, the Government of British Columbia, Research Manitoba, and the Government of Quebec for their support.
Quick facts about Australian Department of Education and Training:
- The department is responsible for national policies and programs that help Australians access quality and affordable early child care and childhood education, school education, higher education, vocational education and training, international education, and research.
- The Australia Awards–Endeavour Scholarships and Fellowships (Endeavour) is one of three Government programs under the Australia Awards umbrella and supports high-achieving international and Australian citizens in undertaking study, research and professional development in Australia and overseas.
- Endeavour plays an important role in the internationalisation of Australia’s education and research engagement and contributes to its reputation as a high quality education and training provider and a leader in research and innovation.
- For information about Mitacs’ programs, see mitacs.ca/newsroom.
- For information about Endeavour, visit education.gov.au/endeavour-scholarships-fellowships-and-grants
Photo (left to right): His Excellency Paul Maddison, High Commissioner of Canada to Australia, and David Learmonth, Deputy Secretary, Higher Education, Research and International from the Australian Department of Education and Training.