Canada’s superclusters to be supported by Mitacs internships
Vancouver, BC – Mitacs, a not-for-profit research and training organization, is pleased to partner with the awardees of the Government of Canada’s $950M Innovation Superclusters Initiative. Mitacs’ internship programs will support the Advanced Manufacturing Supercluster and Protein Industries Supercluster with work-integrated learning opportunities for students.
The five superclusters:
- The Advanced Manufacturing Supercluster, based in Ontario, will connect Canada’s technology strengths to its manufacturing industry to make Canada a world manufacturing leader
- The Protein Industries Supercluster, based in the Prairies, will make Canada a leading source for plant proteins
- The Ocean Supercluster, based in Atlantic Canada, will use innovation to improve competitiveness in Canada’s ocean-based industries, including fisheries, oil and gas, and clean energy
- The SCALE.AI Supercluster, based in Quebec, will make Canada a world leading exporter by building intelligent supply chains through artificial intelligence and robotics
- The Digital Technology Supercluster, based in British Columbia, will use big data and digital technologies to unlock new potential in important sectors like healthcare, forestry, and manufacturing
The Innovation Superclusters Initiative challenged Canadian businesses to collaborate with one another and with innovation agencies, including research institutions, to create strategies that would transform regional economies and develop job-creating superclusters of innovation. The results represent more than 450 businesses, 60 academic institutions, and 180 other participants.
Alejandro Adem, CEO and Scientific Director, Mitacs
“Mitacs looks forward to supporting the Innovation Superclusters Initiative by connecting researchers from Canada’s post-secondary institutions and not-for-profit organizations with large and small companies across the country. In connection with these projects, Mitacs internships will support groundbreaking research, create jobs, train skilled workers, and drive Canada’s economy.”
- Mitacs is a national, not-for-profit organization that has designed and delivered research and training programs in Canada for 18 years.
- Mitacs internships connect companies and organizations with graduate students and postdoctoral fellows, who apply their specialized expertise to research challenges.
- Working with 60 universities, thousands of companies, and both federal and provincial governments, Mitacs builds partnerships that support industrial and social innovation in Canada. Open to all disciplines and all industry sectors, projects can span a wide range of areas, including manufacturing, business processes, IT, social sciences, design, and more.
- Mitacs is funded by the federal and provincial governments as well as university and industry partners.
For information about Mitacs and its programs, visit mitacs.ca/newsroom.